Cosmetic Procedures and You – More Common Than You Think

I recently entered my 40s and as most women know this is when your body starts to show the signs of age. Cosmetic procedures were not something I thought I would consider but I’m no longer that sure. As I thought about this I wondered about how common they were. Well first we would need to consider what falls under the category of cosmetic procedure. When I first thought about it plastic surgery is the first to come to mind but there is much more to this than just that.

During my research I found some great statistics provided by The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery(ASAPS). This organization’s primary mission is to conduct research and provide education in the area of cosmetic plastic surgery. Though there focus appears to be cosmetic surgery you will see that they cover non-surgical areas as well. Here are some snippets I found interesting from the ASAPS data:

The most recent statistics are for 2005. The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery(ASAPS) noted that it’s doctors and surgeons had performed almost 11.5 million cosmetic procedures. Of these procedures, 19 percent were surgical and the remaining 81 percent were non-surgical cosmetic procedures.

Though there was a decrease of 4% from 2004-2005 in the total number the growth in popularity of some of the procedures is amazing, particularly in the use of Botox. Keep in mind since 1997 there has been an increase of 444% in the total number of cosmetic procedures. Surgical procedures grew 119 percent but non-surgical procedures grew 726 percent.

For 2005, the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery noted how often various procedures were performed. Their results showed that the number one plastic surgery procedure was liposuction.

Top 5 Surgical Cosmetic Procedures were:

  • Liposuction(otherwise known as lipoplasty)
  • Breast Augmentation
  • Blepharoplasty(Eyelid Surgery)
  • Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
  • Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)

Top 5 Nonsurgical Cosmetic Procedures were:

  • Botox
  • Laser Hair Removal
  • Hyaluronic Acid
  • Microdermabrasion
  • Chemical Peel

The breakdown of the data for male cosmetic procedures versus female shows that there are commonalities like liposuction and eyelid surgery but diverged from there.

The top procedures for males were:

  • Liposuction
  • Rhinoplasty
  • Blepharoplasty(Eyelid Surgery
  • Male Breast Reduction
  • Facelift

Hair Transplantation dropped by 41% from 2004.

The top procedures for females were:

  • Liposuction
  • Breast Augmentation
  • Blepharoplasty(Eyelid surgery
  • Abdominoplasty
  • Breast Lift(what is this?)

Facelifts dropped off of the top five tin 2005.

The demographics of the data also surprised me a little. Since most people think of cosmetic procedures as plastic surgery they tend to associate them with older people. I think they would be surprised to find that due to the nonsurgical cosmetic procedures available younger people have also entered the mix. Though those 35 and older due account for 71 percent of the numbers, 29 percent are younger and of that 1.5 percent are 18 and under. Laser Hair Removal is the most popular for this set.

Many of these procedures, particularly the surgical ones are very expensive. You may be asking yourself how much these procedures cost. Overall in 2005 Americans spent $12.4 billion on cosmetic procedures. The surprising thing here to me is that many procedures are not covered by insurance. A whole new business has cropped up to help finance the demand. The non-surgical cosmetic procedures are of course cheaper but they may require multiple treatments so the costs can stack up.

So where does all this information leave us? I wanted to explore this topic so I started this blog to research areas that I might be interested in and perhaps hear from others who are going through the same. Given the information I think I will start with Liposuction since there has to be a reason why it is so popular. Maybe after that we can take a look at Botox on the non-surgical side. I definitely think exploring the non-surgical cosmetic surgeries are worth the effort as well since a lot of thought and research should go into anything that will have a lasting affect not only on your body but more importantly the inner you as well. Till next time…

5 Responses to “Cosmetic Procedures and You – More Common Than You Think”

  1. […] Rebecca Knight is a writer for where you can find more information on all types of cosmetic procedures. […]

  2. […] Rebecca Knight is a writer for where you can find more information on all types of cosmetic procedures […]

  3. […] Rebecca Knight is a writer for where you can find more information on all types of cosmetic procedures […]

  4. […] Rebecca Dark night is actually a blogger on behalf of and you’ll discover further information on al of their kinds cosmetic procedures […]

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.